Possible tweak to race control for 2022

The question was raised elsewhere but I found it to be interesting and a possible tweak we could look to implement for 2022.

The penalties in our league is :

+5 sec
    +10 sec
    +15 sec
    drivethrough
    stop n go
    black flag / dq

As of now in the case of drivethroughs and stop n gos we add 20 and 30 sec. The tweak would be towards these penalties being served in the next race in stead of added time.

So if we get a drivethrough or a stop n go then this has to be served in the next race. A stop n go would require the first bump by the dg patch to be served , a drivethrough has to be in 1st gear. We all know what these things should look like. A stop n go cannot be served in context of a pitstop.

With this the licensepoints thing would fall away.

What do you guys think?

Well, I'm the sinner right now...

I think the considerations are right in principle, Dag. I have often thought that the punishments are usually quite ineffective. Often the sinner can't drive any further. Time penalties or even a disqualification then have no effect. And probably nobody achieves the six licence points per year anyway.

I think your stop 'n go penalty idea is perfect. Maybe we should add that it has to be served after three laps at the latest.
    The problem I see with the drive-through penalty is that it is unclear where the pit lane begins and ends, since there is often no pit lane at all. My idea would be (I know it contradicts the name drive through) to say: The same procedure as with stop 'n go, but you have 10 laps to serve. It decreases the disadvantage a lot I think.
    It would be important that disqualifications also have an effect on the next race. That would be my idea: The rider has to start from the back (without qualifying), gets an overtaking ban in the first lap (i.e. is only allowed to pass riders on the wrong way or who have spun) and has to make a complete stop after the first lap (not just wait until the first bump).

By the way, what always irritates me are the many penalty options: 5s, 10s, 15s, drive through, stop 'n go, dq. How do you manage to assess the accidents/incidents in such a differentiated way? Hats off!

I think it should be no problem to perform a drivethrough penalty. It might not be a hundred % the same for all based on what you say , where does the pitlane start etc. The only requirement is to do it in 1st gear. We have all seen these performed on tv at some point and we all know what its supposed to look like.

The range of penalties are what exists in the real world of formula 1. It doesnt always have much effect on the outcome of the race itself , this is true. Our external steward recommends the penalties , if anything I find him to be a bit on the kind side tbh. Its not perfect but human stewardship rarely is.

I think we can be open enough to say that you have the next race to serve a penalty. When in the race is of less importance as I see it , it will still cost the same amount of time. Sure there might be circumstances where it will pay to take it early and there will other times it pays to take it late. This will be a chance the driver in question will have to take. What I would say is that failure to serve a penalty will mean the driver in question is DQ`d from the race where he got the penalty. So holding on to the end of the race to serve a penalty and then suffer a DNF before it is done means a double DNF cause the prior race is also washed out.

And with this we could just drop the licensepoint thing.

I would simplify the penalties as much as possible; in general I'm no fan of penalties, but for clear cut situations. But any which way is OK with me. Haven't had a penalty so far I'm aware off

Who is the external steward BTW, or is that a secret!?

Its a secret.. Shhhhh.

The idea is just regular race control like most other sims have. Its just that in gpl we have to do it manually. Not ideal but it is what it is.

We do have a very well behaved field of drivers fortunately and we have a pretty high bar in terms of allowing racing to take place. And we use the same range of penalties that F1 does in real life , as long as its consequential and equal for all its a good thing to have.

I think this tweak of actually serving drivethroughs and stop n gos in the race are gonna be implemented next season. Then we can do away with the license points.

Talking about fights, not about fights on the track I understand that there must be a penalty system because if two people fight there must be a rule to settle something ... although if two people fight ...

When we were kids we were free to move around in the street ... the law was "two against one... shit for each other" ... even if you have the advantage if you fight you're in the hole.

Talking about fights on the track: the ideal system of competition is that the rules don't interfere with what the participants want to do and they enjoy it.

I have never believed in penalty based systems, because penalties are not what motivates people to do things "right".

If I have a spill on track and I cause another rider to fail I understand that I should be penalised but that doesn't alleviate the fact that I feel bad because I've screwed someone up

and the person I screwed up is not relieved that I have been penalised either.

Our races should be a dance where everyone has a good time ... the prettiest and the ugliest ... I mean it's up to everyone.

The gpl has a corner of people who tend to bring a desire to compete with fair play.

In my opinion the 55's, 65's, ... had more fair play than the current F1, a pity.

In short I think that any simple penalty system is enough... the important thing is the fair play of each driver and the result of their sum, the fair-play of the group.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)